HOME
 Our Guests
  WORSHIP
  FIND TRINITY
  DEVOTIONS
  MINISTRIES
  ARTS & MUSIC
  LEARNING
  STEWARDSHIP
  DONATE
  PRESCHOOL
  CALENDAR
  NEWS & EVENTS
  ABOUT TRINITY
  LEADERSHIP TEAM
  YG  (Youth Group)
  SERMONS
  NEWSLETTER
  RELATED LINKS
  QUICK LINKS
  SITE SEARCH

This page was last
updated on:
March 02, 2017


  

"The Great Commission Window"

CONCERT SERIESMUSIC MINISTRYTHE ART OF TRINITYCROSSES OF TRINITY

"The Great Commission Window"
Willet Hauser Architectural Glass

This window is executed in a Renaissance-style treatment to accord with the building architecture, and a desire to retain interior light. Each pane is a sheet of antique, mouth-blown glass. Subject matter is rendered in a combination of kiln-fired iron oxide paint, silver stain (for yellow tones) and enamels (for other colors), all of which form a permanent bond with the glass.

The subject is The Great Commission as portrayed in the Gospel according to Saint Matthew, Chapter 28, verse 19, and written in the arc at the top of the window: “Go ye therefore and make disciples of all nations.” Christ’s charge is here interpreted across all nations and eras:

Jesus, the central figure, holds the Word and stands upon the globe to indicate the scope of his mission and influence.
     Early apostles surround Jesus.
          On the right:
               Among the apostles is Lydia, purveyor of purple dyes, who was
               baptized by Paul at Philippi (
Acts 16:14).
               Below Lydia is Martin Luther, holding the Bible he translated
               into German in 1536 and the mallet with which he nailed the
               95 Theses to the door of Wittenberg Castle in 1517.
               Next to Luther is Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, founder of the
               Lutheran Church in America.,
               Below Muhlenberg is William Tyndale, martyred in 1536 for
               publishing the Bible in English.
               Next to Tyndale is Trinity Lutheran Church, Camp Hill, Pennsylvania.
          On the left:
               Below the apostle is a Puritan immigrant to America and his ship.
               Below left is a Chinese youth in modern peasant dress.
               Bottom center is a Guatemalan girl dressed in a locally woven textile
               and carrying lilies.
               Bottom right is an African woman in traditional dress with infant.
Above is the dove of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter left behind after the Resurrection.
To the right is the triquetra, a symbol of the Trinity, and iteration of Trinity Lutheran Church’s dedication.

 
Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church

2000 Chestnut Street, Camp Hill, PA  17011-5409
Phone:  717.737.8635   Fax:  717.730.9297
Email:  trinluth@trinitycamphill.org
Contact site webmaster:  webmaster@trinitycamphill.org